9.19.2008

Out of yarn

Not totally of course. You should see my stash... Yarn spilling out all over the place.

No, I'm just out of yarn for this one project. See, I made that bulky wool scarf I showed off in the previous post. Eunny Jang's Spectrum Scarf (without the spectrum), which I really liked because it's a reversible lace. I'm not a fan of scarfs that have a right side and a wrong side, as I've noted before.


I had 10 balls of yarn. The scarf took 7. I had three left. I decided to make a cute hat to match. Since I've been delving into crochet, I picked the Cloche Hat with Flower from Crochet in No Time by Melody Griffiths. I used size K hook, and I obviously didn't make the flower. I thought with the multicolored yarn it would be too much. Also, the pattern called for the hat to be long enough to fold up, but I liked it better without the fold. Check it out. It's so cute! And crochet is so fun and fast.

Crocheted Cloche Hat

The hat only took 1.5 balls, so I had 1.5 left. I thought I'd make mittens. I searched far and wide for a good, basic mitten pattern for bulky yarn. I wanted to crochet first, but I couldn't find a pattern with the right gauge. In the end I found the Plaid Mittens pattern. Perfect gauge, awesome pattern. I made one mitten in no time at all.

Colourmate Mitten

Then I got worried, because the one mitten seemed to take a whole ball of yarn. I only had about a half ball left. I forged ahead anyways, thinking that worst case I could make them both fingerless mitts. This is how much of the second mitt I got.

Fingerless Mitt

Using the yarn I rip back from the finished mitt I'd be able to complete this one as a fingerless mitt, but I really like the full mittens, and wish I had just a little bit more so I can finish this one! So I've decided to rip the scarf back a few inches. Since it's 8 feet long, I think it can spare a few inches.

No comments: